Thinking about this a little more ...

This all seems like Open MPI-specific functionality for Eclipse. If that's the case, don't we have an ORTE tools communication library that could be used? IIRC, it pretty much does exactly what you want and would be far less clumsy than trying to jury-rig sending XML down files/fd's/whatever. I have dim recollections of the ORTE tools communication library API returning the data that you have asked for in data structures -- no parsing of XML at all (and, more importantly to us, no need to add all kinds of special code paths for wrapping our output in XML).

If I'm right (and that's a big "if"!), is there a reason that this library is not attractive to you?