Sorry, but somehow the mailscanner doesn't like the sourcecode...
Changed now.

Hi again,

Maybe I should give more specific information with some code snippets...
Currently I added the definition ORTE_DAEMON_BTL_CTL_CMD (orte_daemon_cmd_flag_t) 26 to odls_types.h to identify if I want to trigger the BTL pause.

In process_commands() of orted/orted_comm.c this flag is processed first by broadcasting to all orteds with xcast of the grpcomm framework. At second it's forwarded with orte_odls.deliver_message to the local procs. So every process should get the trigger. Or is there another possibly easier way of spawning the trigger?

I expanded the mca_btl_base_module_t in btl/btl.h simply with an indicator (btl_paused) if pause is set.

I then added a line to the initial values in every BTL component that btl_paused should be false by default. E.g. in self/btl_self.c.
Or did I forget something?

So my problem is now, when every process gets the trigger in the ORTE project, how could I set btl->paused to true in OMPI project? ORTE has not (and I know it should not) have access to the OMPI components. Is there a way of implementing a libevent callback function in the BTL modules? Or is there another way? I already read the documentation at your wiki-site, but for me it's not really trivial as I'm relatively new to this.

An idea to get the connection to the OMPI project would be to use the ft_event framework. Therefore I added another opal_crs_state_type_t OPAL_CRS_PAUSE in crs/crs.h and tried to trigger the event in orted_comm.c with orte_ess.ft_event(OPAL_CRS_PAUSE), but the ft_event() is NULL and therefore isn't executed...

Any ideas? Any advices?

For me the performance impact of a solution is of no interest.

Thanks, and please excuse me if I bother you with this.

Christoph

Christoph Konersmann schrieb:
Hi all,

I'm trying to implement a method to pause all BTL's sending packets to their destinations.

Currently I added a state variable to orte_process_info which will be changed with an external program through process_commands() in orte/orted/orted_comm.c (I hope it's processed globaly not locally). While this state is changed to something defined as PAUSE, I want the send_methods in PML-Layer to be halted omitting any network traffic. By now it's not working, cause the PML-Layer does not see the state change.

Another way would be to use a libevent thread on the bml/pml-level. I've read that this library is already supported/implemented, or am I wrong? How would I use libevent in this context? Does somebody have an example or hint? Or should I use the fault tolerance framework for this purpose?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

--
Paderborn Center for Parallel Computing - PC2
University of Paderborn - Germany

Christoph Konersmann <c...@upb.de>