On Feb 9, 2010, at 1:44 AM, Sylvain Jeaugey wrote:

> While we're at it, why not call the option giving MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support
> --enable-thread-multiple ?

Makes sense to me. I agree with Brian that we need three options here.

> About ORTE and OPAL, if you have --enable-thread-multiple=yes, it may force
> the usage of --enable-thread-safety to configure OPAL and/or ORTE.

It definitely will, but I don't see that as an issue.

> I know there are other projects using ORTE and OPAL, but the vast majority of
> users are still using OMPI and were already confused by --enable-mpi-threads.
> Switching to --enable-multi-threads or --enable-thread-safety will surely
> confuse them one more time.

Just to clarify: this actually isn't about other projects. Jeff misspoke, IMO.
The problem is in OMPI as it may be necessary/advantageous for ORTE to have
threads for proper mpirun and orted operation even though application processes
don't use them.

Ralph