Hi list,

Remember this old bug ? I think I finally found out what was going wrong.

The opal "installdirs" framework has two static components : config and env. These components are automatically detected by the MCA system and they are listed in opal/mca/installdirs/base/static-components.h.

The problem is that no priority is given, while the order matters : the first opened component sets the value.

When I build the v1.5 branch, I get 1.env 2.config :
const mca_base_component_t *mca_installdirs_base_static_components[] = {
  &mca_installdirs_env_component,
  &mca_installdirs_config_component,
  NULL
};

When I build an RPM *or* the new default branch, I get 1.config 2.env :
const mca_base_component_t *mca_installdirs_base_static_components[] = {
  &mca_installdirs_config_component,
  &mca_installdirs_env_component,
  NULL
};

I don't know why the generated file is not consistent. It may be related to the order in which directories are created.

Anyway, the first case seems to be what was intended in the first place. Since config sets all the values, having it in first position makes env useless. Besides, in the first configuration, env only needs to sets OPAL_PREFIX and since config sets all other pathes relatively to ${prefix}, it works.

So, how could we solve this ?

1. Make autogen/configure/whatever generate a consistent static-components.h with env THEN config ;

2. Add priorities to these components so that env is opened first regardless of its position in the static components array ;

3. Any other idea ?

Sylvain