I honestly wasn't casting aspersions - just sounds like a very strange
operational mode. Never heard of something like that before.

The problem is that we continue to have issues with clean termination and
"hangs", largely because the program counter gets "hung" as we try to work with
an event-driven system constrained to a single thread. We also have performance
problems because we cannot progress communications asynchronously.

So the movement is to threading mpirun and the orte daemons to solve the
problems. Maintaining both threaded and unthreaded operations inside a single
code becomes a study in spaghetti, and so it may prove intractable. In that
case, I'll "freeze" an unthreaded version at the current level, and we'll focus
further development on the threaded version.

If we go that route (and that isn't a given yet), then I'll rig the build
system so configuring without threads generates the unthreaded version, with
the correct accompanying man page.

HTH
Ralph