To adress your concerns about putting the epoch in the process name structure,
putting it in there rather than in a separately maintained list simplifies
things later.

For example, during communication you need to attach the epoch to each of your
messages so they can be tracked later. If a process dies while the message is
in flight, or you need to cancel your communication, you need to be able to
find the matching message to the matching epoch. If the epoch isn't in the
process name, then you have to modify to the message header for each type of
message to include that information. Each process not only needs to know what
the current version of the epoch is from it's own perspective, but also from
the perspective of whomever is sending the message.

This is also true for things like reporting failures. To prevent duplicate
notifications you would need to include your epoch in all the notifications so
no one marks a process as failing twice.

Really the point is that by changing the process name, you prevent the need to
pack the epoch each time you have any sort of communication. All that work is
done along with packing the rest of the structure.