Matthew,

I have the same type of error on a completely different software package on Mac OS X. The error occurs because of the way that Mac OS X searches for -lutil. If the libutil.a ORTE needs is theirs, i.e., not the system libutil.dylib, then you have exactly the same problem I did.

Here are my notes for the fix using gcc. You will have to find out the equivalent method to pass the -search_paths_first linker option using pgcc.

# Mac OS X searches for shared libraries before static libraries. Thus, -L<ours> -lutil finds the system libutil.dylib # before our libutil.a, which causes undefined references in the link step because it is using the wrong library. The # ld -search_paths_first option forces ld to search each directory first for a matching library, instead of all directories
# first for a shared library.
# Note: this is the form to pass -search_paths_first to ld when $ (CC) is the linker command in makefile.ux
export LDFLAGS=-Wl,-search_paths_first

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608