FWIW: I build OMPI on Mac OS-X (Snow Leopard) every day, without adding any
extra flags, without problem. The citation below relates to something from a
long time ago, I believe - haven't seen that problem in quite some time.

I do not, however, use PGI. We regularly have problems with PGI on a variety of
systems, and I suspect you are hitting one here - but can't confirm it as we
don't have PGI licenses to use for testing.

The Xgrid support is broken, but has nothing to do with the problem you
describe. Just means you can't launch via Xgrid.