I have been working w/ Brice off-list and we have found the root cause of ALL those problems I've reported with linux-specific hwloc symbols on non-linux systems.

Somehow the 1.5.1rc1 tarball contains a GENERATED file from a Linux system!

$ find openmpi-1.5.5rc1 -name autogen | xargs ls
openmpi-1.5.5rc1/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc122ompi/hwloc/include/hwloc/autogen:
config.h  config.h.in

openmpi-1.5.5rc1/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc122ompi/hwloc/include/private/autogen:
config.h.in

That one "config.h" does NOT belong there.
It does look like somebody at least TRIED to keep it out of the tarball:
$ grep nodist openmpi-1.5.5rc1/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc122ompi/hwloc/include/Makefile.am
nodist_include_hwloc_autogen_HEADERS = hwloc/autogen/config.h
But somehow that didn't do the job.

Removing that config.h is sufficient to resolve my problem building on FreeBSD-7.2, and is very likely the SOLE hwloc-related problem responsible for my failures on non-Linux systems (it is now 2am and I have no patience to retry the other systems until I see rc2).

-Paul