That doesn't really work with the hwloc model unfortunately. Also, when
you get to smaller objects (cores, threads, ...) there are multiple
"closest" objects at each depth.

We have one "closest" object at some depth (usually Machine or NUMA
node). If you need something higher, you just walk the parent links. If
you need something smaller, you look at children.

Also, each I/O device isn't directly attached to such a closest object.
It's usually attached under some bridge objects. There's a tree of hwloc
PCI bus objects exactly like you have a tree of hwloc
sockets/cores/threads/etc. At the top of the I/O tree, one (bridge)
object is attached to a regular object as explained earlier. So, when
you have a random hwloc PCI object, you get its locality by walking up
its parent link until you find a non-I/O object (one whose cpuset isn't
NULL). hwloc/helper.h gives you hwloc_get_non_io_ancestor_obj() to do that.

Brice