Sorry, there are definite reasons we don't support --program-prefix: it has
caused issues in the past.  Here's where we added the warning message in
configure:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2009/09/6750.php

The short version is that --program-prefix doesn't do what you want, anyway:
even if you want to have multiple different MPI's installed in a single
--prefix, prefixing the executables isn't enough.  I.e., even if you have
ompi-mpirun, ompi-mpicc, etc., what about mpi.h and mpif.h?  Your MPI
installations, by definition, *must* name their versions of those files with
the same names.

Most people install MPI implementations into different directories and either
use environment modules to select which one to use, or use the alternatives
system (or something like it).

That's what I remember off the top of my head, but I think there are subtler
issues, too -- I seem to recall having deep, long, complicated discussions with
Brian (my main partner in crime with OMPI's configure/build system) about
program-prefix and friends.  I can try to dig back a bit further in my memory,
if needed...