Perhaps we can all meet in the middle:

* remove the enable-debug-by-default logic

* have mpirun -version clearly state that it is a debug build and include
Jeff’s warning about debug builds being used for performance testing

I’m increasingly feeling that we shouldn’t output that message every time
someone executes a debug-based operation, even if we add a param to turn off
the warning.