in the 1.7, 1.8 and 1.10 series ROMIO remains the default. In the upcomgin 2.x series, OMPIO will be the default, except for Lustre file systems, where we will stick with ROMIO as the primary resource.

Regarding performance comparison, we ran numerous tests late last year and early this year. It really depends on the application scenario and the platform that you are using. If you want to know which one should you use, I would definitely suggest to stick with ROMIO in the 1.10 series, since many of the bug fixes of OMPIO that we did in the last two years could not be back-ported to the 1.10 series for technical reasons. If you plan to switch to the 2.x series, it might be easiest to just run a couple of tests and compare the performance for your application on your platform, and base your decision on that.

Edgar