On Feb 7, 2020, at 4:27 AM, Brice Goglin via devel <devel@lists.open-mpi.org>
wrote:

> PR#7367 was initially on top of PR #7366. When Jeff merged PR#7366, I rebased
> my #7367 with git prrs and got this error:
>
> $ git prrs origin master
> From
> https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi
>
>  * branch                  master     -> FETCH_HEAD
> Fetching submodule opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc2/hwloc
> fatal: cannot rebase with locally recorded submodule modifications
>
> I didn't touch the hwloc submodule as far as I can see. The hwloc submodule
> also didn't change in origin/master between before and after the rebasing.

Huh.  I can't see from this what happened; I have no insight to offer here,
sorry...

> $ git submodule status
>  38433c0f5fae0b761bd20e7b928c77f3ff2e76dc opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc2/hwloc
> (hwloc-2.1.0rc2-33-g38433c0f)

I see this in my ompi clone as well (i.e., it's where the master/HEAD hwloc
submodule is pointing).

> opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc2/hwloc $ git status
> HEAD detached from f1a2e22a
> nothing to commit, working tree clean
>
> I am not sure what's this "HEAD detached ..." is doing here.

If you look at the graph log in the opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc2/hwloc tree, you'll
see:

* 03d42600 (origin/v2.1) doxy: add a ref to envvar from the XML section
...a bunch more commits...
* 38433c0f (HEAD) .gitignore: add config/ltmain.sh.orig
...a bunch more commits...
* f1a2e22a (tag: hwloc-2.1.0rc2, tag: hwloc-2.1.0) contrib/windows: update
README

Meaning:
- 03d42600 is the head of the "v2.1" branch in the hwloc repo
- 38433c0f is where the submodule is pointing (i.e., local HEAD)
- f1a2e22a is the last tag before that

So I think the "HEAD detached" means that the HEAD is not pointing to a named
commit (i.e., there's no tags or branches pointing to 38433c0f).

> I seem to be able to reproduce the issue in my master branch by doing "git
> reset --hard HEAD^". git prrs will then fail the same.
>
> I worked around the issue by manually reapplying all commits from my PR on
> top of master with git cherry-pick, but I'd like to understand what's going
> on. It looks like my submodule is clean but not clean enough for a rebase?

I haven't had problems with rebasing and submodules; I'm not sure what I'm
doing different than you.