FWIW: I have major problems when rebasing if that rebase runs across the point
where a submodule is added. Every file that was removed and replaced by the
submodule generates a conflict. Only solution I could find was to whack the
subdirectory containing the files-to-be-replaced and work thru it (and it isn't
an easy process). Rather painful, which is why rebasing the "remove ORTE" PR
has been a nightmare.