If a synchronization starts with the screen off, there's a chance that the phone enters "deep suspend" during the synchronization. If so, the other side might time out and the sync will fail.

So I want prevent the CPU from suspending before the synchronization is complete, which might take a few seconds (and there might not be network activity all the time while it's running). I've read that to get periodic wakeups, you could use libiphb or maybe timed, but what's the recommended way to temporarily prevent suspending completely for a few seconds?