As I haven't gotten a response I am coming back to the issue:

After updating to the latest SDK on a Windows XP Pro with SP3 all warnings
and errors have the same icon a red triangle. Pressing the button on the
QtCreator IDE to display all or only errors doesn't work. Also double
clicking on an error or warning it doesn't take me to the corresponding
file/line.

I have tried this on two different machines both as an upgrade from
previous SDK version and as a clean installation. All occasions similar
conclusion.

Another thing is that when I try to debug on the actual device the
application builds correctly and is automatically deployed on the device
then a pop-up dialogue appears asking me for an executable, but which .exe
or .cmd file should I use and what parameter should I pass? I presume as a
parameter I should pass the name of the application I want to debug, but
what is the executable?

Under the folder
.....\SailfishAlpha4\mer-sdk-tools\MerSDK\SailfishOS-arm7hl are only files
for compiling, packaging and deploying. NO debugging.

eg:
deploy.cmd
gcc.cmd
make.cmd