On 19/07/2019 12:27, Sahlan wrote:
[snip]
> I have
> purchased a phone which is running Sailfish 3 and have set up Developer
> Mode on it. On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I installed the Sailfish Qt Creator IDE
> and built a simple test app.

Which phone are you using? Did you flash it over USB to install
Sailfish? Your setup with Ubuntu is pretty standard, so it should work.

It's an obvious question, but did you, activate the Remote connection
option, and give yourself a root password?

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202011863-How-to-enable-Developer-Mode

> I connected the Sailfish phone via USB and
> confirmed with lsusb that the device is recognised as being connected.
> Under Tools / Options / Devices, I try to add the phone as a Sailfish OS
> Physical Device. The IP address, username and password correctly
> correspond to those on the phone, but clicking "Test Connection" always
> gives me the message "Host unreachable". Increasing the SSH timeout does
> not help. I also tried pinging the i.p. address of the phone from a
> terminal window, and it is not found, though I am not sure whether ping
> should work with i.p. over usb.

Pinging should work over USB, and personally I'd focus on getting that
to work first, since until you can ping it's unlikely ssh will work.

It might also be worth trying to ping in the opposite direction (i.e
pinging your computer from the phone over USB) by opening a console on
the phone and using something like this:

su-devel ping 192.16.2.6

Some of the advice on this page may also be useful (if not now, then
once you have a connection!):

https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS_Cheat_Sheet

David
--