On 11/1/19 8:26 PM, szo...@gmail.com wrote:
Just curious as last mention of qmlscene on tjc is from 2014 and modRana at
that point was supposedly ran with it,

I think that post is mostly about how to use qmlscene during development of pure QML or Python + QML apps.

  is it still ok to have .desktop file calling qmlscene or is that a no-no for
harbour apps even for pure qml apps?

I think you are supposed to use the "sailfish-qml" tool in such a case, see:

https://harbour.jolla.com/faq#.desktop-Files

I think this is really the only way or at least it was when I did initially package modRana years ago. I would definitely use qmlscene if I could, as sailfish-qml

imposes various more or less brain-dead limitations on your application, like where you main qml file need to be located, how it needs to be called. It also

does not have a way to directly set QML import path (but thanfully respects the corresponding environmental variables) & there are also some issues with

argument parsing to an application run with sailfish-qml.

  (asking as modrana currently seems to be calling a binary, so had to go
through sdk? If not qmlscene what is proper way to submit pure qml apps?)

I basically get fed up with all the hack I had in place due to using sailfish-qml and decided writing a simple launcher in C++/Qt5 was actually less tedious. :)

Some of the backstory for the decision can be read here:

https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/commit/de346537eda664d15da3941d186439c8e06d71c2#diff-d266491a492b352f7a6b4d56e612bc7d

https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/blob/master/run/launcher/README.rst

To summarize:

- it is simpler for users to run "modrana" from a terminal than typing "sailfish-qml harbour-modrana"

- you can easily support the usual options such as --help, --version a others without sailfish-qml getting in the way

- you can easily set all the QML and Python import paths without bending backwards like with sailfish-qml

- having a C++/Qt5 launcher opens the possibility to interact with Qt5 C++ APIs & pure C/C++ APIs not available from QML or via Python and exposing them to the QML context as needed

- IIRC having a native launcher makes it possible to use the QML profiling and tracing functionality available in QtCreator

- a C++/Qt5 launcher is pretty much mandatory anyway for running modRana (or other Qt 5 + Python 3) applications from Flatpak or on Android

Also please note that the native launcher simply adds another way how to launch modRana, that is generally more convenient in specific scenarios. You can still run modRana via QML scene and even by running modrana.py and it should do the right thing. :)

As for using the Sailfish OS/Qt SDK - I did use it for the initial development of the launcher & bigger changes, but I generally simply build the launcher from the command line on desktop or on Mer OBS for Sailfish OS, so the SDK is not strictly needed (though the code completion is certainly useful, given my minimal knowledge of C++ :D).

In short I suggest looking into sailfish-qml or possibly feel free to repurpose the modRana launcher for your purposes. :) Also IIRC Poor Maps has (or at least used to have) a really minimal native launcher for use in Flatpaks.