On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM Yedidyah Bar David <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With the decision and on-going process to migrate from gerrit to
> github, we do not anymore have a backup - github used to be a backup
> for gerrit, automatically synced.
>
> Do we want a backup for github? Some options:
>
> 1. Do nothing. github as-is might be good enough, and it also has an
> archive program [1]. AFAICT, right now none of the partners in this
> program allow 'git clone'. There are plans to allow that in the
> future.
>
> 2. Do something custom like we did so far with gerrit->github.
>
> 3. Find some service. Searching for 'github backup' finds lots of
> options. I didn't check any.
>
> Thoughts?

When you use a service, you depend on the service provider to handle
backups. For example, do we have a backup of our mail?

But I think the ovirt project should not depend on a single provider and
have a git mirror somewhere.

I think the most attractive solution is gitlab, which has built-in support for
pulling (and pushing) to/from remote repositories:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/repository/mirror/index.html

We can do this:
1. Create ovirt organization in gitlab
2. Import all projects from github
3. Set up a pull mirror for every project
   https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/repository/mirror/pull.html

I tried this on my vdsm project in gitlab:
https://gitlab.com/nirs/vdsm

This repo mirrors my vdsm fork in github:
https://github.com/nirs/vdsm

Because it neds only read-only access, there is not authentication
to set up.

Nir