Dear all,

> On 15 Dec 2014, at 11:10, Ludwig Ortmann <ludwig.ortm...@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> As for the general topic of relicensing:

Personally speaking I’m rather pragmatic on this topic and either license is
fine for
me *but* I tend to advocate for MIT.

ad "contributing back”: Apart from companies practicing an open source culture
forcing those others to open their changes doesn’t imply for me RIOT will
actually
benefit from these. Opening their changes doesn’t mean these will be opened
in a way RIOT maintainers know about it. They simply have to put them
somewhere publicly accessible. While with a non-restrictive license we could get
the contributions (maybe also in a better shape in terms of coding style and
quality)
from those who’d do it with LGPL and maybe broaden the basis and convince others
(by improvements and further development on RIOT’s master) to consider opening
their changes to not get left behind. *
As Emmanuel put it, it is a bet we will have to place.

ad “mimic Linux’s story“: Looking into Linux’s story is and was very unique and
GPL is no guarantee against patent trolls. Additionally I think today we are
embedded in an even faster moving/developing environment with a big challenge
arising next October in form of mbed OS.

The biggest blocker implied by LGPL I see is that someone providing RIOT driven
hardware has to provide means to re-flash the devices with self compiled
binaries.
At least that’s what I understood in past discussions and what I simply can’t
imagine to become widely adopted.

IMHO I think in the short and mid term it is greatly beneficial at least one
big
player taking up on RIOT providing resources to maintain and improve it and the
whole surrounding quite changed since Linux emerged.
Also as most “bigger” open source projects are in some sort backed by a company
ensure development, we are dealing with companies (I’m mainly referring to HW
aspect here) who are not used to deal with open source by now. Taking this into
account I don’t believe RIOT’s technical advantages can prevail the concerns for
many companies. **

To sum up, I would like to see RIOT as wide spread as possible and thereby
promote
(at least) open networking standards and I think RIOT licensed under MIT has the
highest chance to succeed in this. ***

Best, Thomas

*   Philosophical question: If we take open source software as an altruistic
approach
to publish software for the greater good wouldn’t it be contradictory to tell
others to give something in return and exclusionary to those who simply can’t?

**  My (limited) experience from working for HW manufacturers is more like
“don’t even
mention these three evil letters”. This matches Emmanuel’s and Matthias’
experiences
quite well.

*** In my personal Utopia we wouldn’t have to discuss this but would be
consensus to
open all code for the greater good but the above thoughts come to my mind when
reality hits me.