Hi Jan,

Your fears are entirely ungrounded :)

First of all, there are no concrete plans or even arrangements as of now.
From our point of view, RIOT lacks human interfaces (among other things), and
if Ubuntu snappy apps turn out to be a fitting front end, we will probably
support it, but not exclusively.

Second, as far add I know Ubuntu is criticized primarily for reasons that have
to do with decision making.
RIOT aims to be a proper open source project, so I'm not afraid of Canonical
taking over the reins or something like that.

We (the core developers) are also in contact/affiliation with several other
entities (companies and institutes) that have interests in RIOT or which are
already using/financing/shaping development. (This means the influence of
financially involved parties is distributed and it will most likely stay this
way.)
In this regard: we are currently in the process of creating a legal entity (a
German Verein) with the goal of catering to both, RIOT's free software and
financial needs.

Cheers, Ludwig

PS: this is not an official  statement, just my personal view on things.