Hi Jan,

As far as I understood it, Ubuntu contacted us because they were looking
for expertise on how to communicate with embedded devices which cannot run
Linux.

A low-overhead solution that we suggested for their problem is: RIOT (and
its network stack) runs simultaneously on IoT devices, and as a Linux
process (native port) on whatever box they have in mind. This way, their
communication problem could be solved rather easily.

Such a solution has no substantial consequences for RIOT : development &
maintenance of RIOT's native port and network stack  are anyways part of
the plan, whether or not Ubuntu is interested in using these building
blocks.

Basically: RIOT is a free tool that can be used by anyone, why not by
Ubuntu ;). But as far as I can tell, I don't think we should fear RIOT
becoming Ubuntu-ized.

Best,

Emmanuel