Hello Martin,

> thx again for recording the audio for the introducing presentation.
> It was a great help to get a more descend look at the information from the
> slides and the idea for the message based network stack approach.

Great!

> Yesterday we got the foundamental concept how the new network stack will
> evolve, which  "modules" are covered yet and what parts are open for
> discussion/definition.
> As I couldn't attend, I humbly ask how the meeting will proceed today, and
> if there was discussion/consensus on open topics?

Yesterday after the talk we discussed how to solve routing in the network
stack. Basically we decided, that for proactive routing the FIB (for a
given destination address it gives an PID/interface + next hop address) you
proposed is sufficient. For reactive routing we concluded, that it is
probably best for the FIB to return for a given destination address the PID
of the routing protocol with next hop address == NULL, if a next hop is not
available. This way we only need to check in IP if the next hop address is
!= NULL to lookup the link layer address in the NIB and then send the
packet to the given PID. The routing protocol is in case of reactive
routing then responsible for the packet and might either send it itself to
the link layer or resend it to IP after a next hop was found or drop it if
not.

We also discussed error management for sending and receiving. The result
was, that we introduce a 6th message type for netapi to communicate the
status of a packet for a certain layer, and a protocol can register to
those via netreg. I'll propose an interface for this at today's meeting.

The plan for today is to discuss Header Options, ICMPv6, neighbor discovery
and something something I forgot right now ^^

Best,
Martine