To burn a program you only need the ELF file. No need to convert it to BIN.
Notice that I'm using a SODAQ Autonomo, with an Atmel SAMD21J18A. The openocd
command is:

  $ MYELF=tests/driver_bme280/bin/sodaq-autonomo/driver_bme280.elf
$ openocd -d2 -f boards/sodaq-autonomo/dist/openocd.cfg -c "telnet_port disabled; init; halt; at91samd bootloader 0; program {{$MYELF}} verify reset; shutdown"

To be able to debug you must start openocd as a daemon waiting
for GDB to connect. (You are using GNU I hope. :-)

$ openocd -d2 -f boards/sodaq-autonomo/dist/openocd.cfg -c "init; halt; at91samd bootloader 0"

Then start gdb with the ELF file.

$ arm-none-eabi-gdb -i=mi tests/driver_bmp180/bin/sodaq-autonomo/driver_bmp180.elf

In gdb you first connect to the target, give it a reset, set breakpoints and give it a go.

  (gdb) target remote localhost:3333
  (gdb) monitor reset halt
  (gdb) b main
  (gdb) c