> Hi Baptiste,
>
> On 17 May 2017, at 1:14 PDT(-0700), Baptiste Clenet wrote:
>
>> According to their example:
>> Example:
>> A frame transmission of length five with TX_AUTO_CRC_ON set, is
>> started with a Frame Buffer write access of five bytes (the last two
>> bytes can be omitted). The first three bytes are used for FCS
>> generation; the last two bytes are replaced by the internally
>> calculated FCS.
>>
>> Even a five bytes frame would have its last two bytes overwritten. Is
>> my understanding correct?
>> So I don't understand why the driver limits the frame length to 127-2?
>

> The at86rf2xx driver doesn't limit the *frame length* to 127-2 octets
> because the
> FCS is part of the frame sent out. The driver just makes sure that no
> payload
> data is overwritten by the FCS.
>
> Every 802.15.4 frame has two bytes of FCS. So if we didn't use
> TX_AUTO_CRC_ON
> we would have to calculate the checksum in software and write it into the
> frame buffer, appended to the header, sequence number, addresses and payload
> we
> want to send. All together (FCF + seq_num + addrs + payload + FCS) this can
> be 127 bytes max.
>
> Now RIOT's at86rf2xx driver uses TX_AUTO_CRC_ON thus we don't have to
> calculate
> the FCS, it's appended to the rest of the frame.

I don't think it is appended to the frame but it really replace the
last two bytes of the frame
Example:
at86rf2xx_tx_load(dev, ptr->iov_base, 5, 0);
FCS is calculated on bytes 1, 2 and 3 and bytes 4 and 5 are replaced by FCS

at86rf2xx_tx_load(dev, ptr->iov_base, 126, 0);
FCS is calculated on bytes 1, to 124 and bytes 125 and 126 are replaced by FCS

So the stack which give the frame should give a frame  2bytes longer
to let the transceiver calculate the FCS.
This is why IMO this check is useless.

After reading more the datasheet, it's not clear because it is written:
On transmission the radio transceiver generates and appends the FCS
bytes during the frame transmission. This
behavior can be disabled by setting register bit TX_AUTO_CRC_ON = 0
(register 0x04, TRX_CTRL_1).

> Personally, I never tried what happens if you remove this check for 127-2
> and
> fully fill the frame buffer but I would imagine that exactly that happens,
> the
> last two bytes are overwritten by the FCS and thus lost, unless it already
> was
> the exact same checksum.
>
> Best, Thomas

>>> Hi Baptiste,
>>>
>>> If you take a look at figures 37-1 and 37-2 in the data sheet you linked
>>> you can see that IEEE 802.15.4 allows up to 127 bytes for the MPDU and this
>>> includes the FCS.
>>> So if the driver would allow writing 127 bytes into the frame buffer the
>>> last two bytes would indeed be overwritten which is undesired I guess.
>>>
>>> I hope I understood you correctly and this helps.
>>>
>>> Best, Thomas

>> --
>> Baptiste

Baptiste