Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 07:56:05PM +0200, Baptiste Clenet wrote:
> > Hi Baptiste,
> >
> > On 17 May 2017, at 1:14 PDT(-0700), Baptiste Clenet wrote:
> >
> >> According to their example:
> >> Example:
> >> A frame transmission of length five with TX_AUTO_CRC_ON set, is
> >> started with a Frame Buffer write access of five bytes (the last two
> >> bytes can be omitted). The first three bytes are used for FCS
> >> generation; the last two bytes are replaced by the internally
> >> calculated FCS.
> >>
> >> Even a five bytes frame would have its last two bytes overwritten. Is
> >> my understanding correct?
> >> So I don't understand why the driver limits the frame length to 127-2?
> >

> > The at86rf2xx driver doesn't limit the *frame length* to 127-2 octets
> > because the
> > FCS is part of the frame sent out. The driver just makes sure that no
> > payload
> > data is overwritten by the FCS.
> >
> > Every 802.15.4 frame has two bytes of FCS. So if we didn't use
> > TX_AUTO_CRC_ON
> > we would have to calculate the checksum in software and write it into the
> > frame buffer, appended to the header, sequence number, addresses and payload
> > we
> > want to send. All together (FCF + seq_num + addrs + payload + FCS) this can
> > be 127 bytes max.
> >
> > Now RIOT's at86rf2xx driver uses TX_AUTO_CRC_ON thus we don't have to
> > calculate
> > the FCS, it's appended to the rest of the frame.
>
> I don't think it is appended to the frame but it really replace the
> last two bytes of the frame
> Example:
> at86rf2xx_tx_load(dev, ptr->iov_base, 5, 0);
> FCS is calculated on bytes 1, 2 and 3 and bytes 4 and 5 are replaced by FCS

starting here at 0 or 1? :S

Replaced by FCS? I suppose this function loads frame into framebuffer,
the FCS isn't calculated there. See below.

> at86rf2xx_tx_load(dev, ptr->iov_base, 126, 0);
> FCS is calculated on bytes 1, to 124 and bytes 125 and 126 are replaced by FCS
>
> So the stack which give the frame should give a frame  2bytes longer
> to let the transceiver calculate the FCS.
> This is why IMO this check is useless.
>
> After reading more the datasheet, it's not clear because it is written:
> On transmission the radio transceiver generates and appends the FCS
> bytes during the frame transmission. This
> behavior can be disabled by setting register bit TX_AUTO_CRC_ON = 0
> (register 0x04, TRX_CTRL_1).

I think when the transmitter starts sending the FRAME -> going into
BUSY. The transceiver will make some:

init_fcs();
for (b:each_bytes_to_tx) { <--- 127 - 2
        send(b);
        calc_fcs(b);
}
send_fcs(); <--- 2 bytes

then you need to be sure you send 127 - 2 bytes out. If you disable

---

now if you disable AUTO_CRC then you can load 127 bytes into framebuffer
and hopefully last 2 bytes are FCS (or doesn't need to be, but then you
running out-of-spec).

- Alex