We have two xtimer-like RTC-based timers implemented on STM32L1:

* https://github.com/unwireddevices/RIOT/tree/loralan-public/sys/rtctimers — rtctimers for ~1 second to 1 week delays, it uses regular RTC calendar
* https://github.com/unwireddevices/RIOT/tree/loralan-public/sys/rtctimers-millis — rtctimers-millis for ~1 ms to 1 min delays, it uses RTC_SSR subseconds register (not available on some devices) and RTC calendar seconds register
* RTC_SSR driver implementation — https://github.com/unwireddevices/RIOT/blob/loralan-public/cpu/stm32l1/periph/rtc.c

P.S. On STM32L1, regular XTIMER can not run from 32 kHz clock in stop or standby mode, as all TIMx timers need APB1 clocking. Switching xtimer to RTC clock will degrade its resolution.

--
Sincerely yours,
Oleg Artamonov