Gunar, Jose

> In the end, it should not matter which git repository is bloated.

What about NO repository gets bloated?
This was already discussed with some other maintainers offline, but I want to reinstate it here:

We are not *special* in any way. Compared to other projects, RIOT OS does not have any crazy wacky requirements or limitations, and we are facing similar issues, for which- after similar sufferings- specialized tools were developed. Then why do we insist in doing things differently?

I'm talking about git-lfs. This tools was invented to overcome all those issues we are mentioning in this thread. To me it is the only non-hacky solution. The only time a user will be exposed to the tool will be when building/editing the docs.

git-lfs does not bloat the repo because binary blobs are not stored in there, and only the needed versions for the commits you are checking out are downloaded (not the entire diff history as with a regular text file.)

Really, all this wiki-as-object-storage thing feels like hammering a nail with a screwdriver. If we go with the hacky solution we will regret it later when we have to maintain the mess.

Regards,

Juan.