In case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future:
The difference is that giving a variable on the command line to make will
cause that variable to become immutable by the makefiles, which means that
it will not be updated by the USEMODULE += module commands in the makefiles
(unless the special command "override USEMODULE" is used in the makefile).
So the easy solution is to only set it in the environment and not on the
command line.

/Joakim