Hello Gedare,

Am 23.03.21 um 16:48 schrieb Gedare Bloom:
CC: Nils, Utkarsh

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:17 AM Christian MAUDERER
<christian.maude...@embedded-brains.de> wrote:

Hello Ahamed,

Am 23.03.21 um 11:24 schrieb Ahamed Husni:
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested to work on the *Beagle BSP Projects* [#2891
<https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2891>]. *
*
*Adding PRU Support* [#3730 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3730>]
project seems really interesting to me.
This project is partially done during GSoC 2019
<https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2019>by Nils Hölscher .
Is this a good project for the GSoC?

Up to now I have,

  1. Completed the GSoC prerequisite task
  2. Got the required hardware and tested it. (Beagleboard Black, USB to
     TTL Converter)
  3. Installed RTEMS on the Beagleboard and tested. (Screenshot attached
     below)

I need guidance to define the scope of the project.
I'm currently thinking of ,

  1. First finish the remaining work from GSoC 2019 on the PRU.
     (What is the status of current implementation of the PRU?)

I'm really not sure what the state of the PRU is. I didn't follow that
project closely. Maybe one of the mentors of that project can say
anything regarding that.

Some more background:
https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2019-December/056478.html
https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-January/056958.html

Maybe Utkarsh or Nils have more to say.

  2. Implement additional peripheral support.
     What would be most useful?
     (USB OTG, CAN, ...).

I think CAN is a bit hard without some CAN analyzer hardware as a peer.

USB OTG would be a nice area. But that will be less writing a driver for
Beagle but more finding out how that works with libbsd and finding a
good way to configure it. I once put a few hours into it didn't take too
much time till a PC detected an USB device (see
https://gitlab.com/c-mauderer/rtems-libbsd/-/tree/20170707-cdce).
Basically it's about importing the "usb_template" stuff and finding a
way to configure it in libbsd.

I think that topic would have to be a bit of an open one: You might work
only a day on it and have a working CDC Ethernet afterwards or you can
need weeks for that. So you should add an open list of possible advanced
targets. An OTG device can be:

- Ethernet
- Serial port
- Mass storage
- Keyboard / Mouse
- Modem
- Audio
- ...

The simplest one will most likely be Ethernet followed by serial port. I
would add some of the others (like mass storage) as an extended targets.

Yes, this seems like an area that can be chipped away at, with a
strong plan of activities. My concern would be whether it is about
writing code or not?

It won't produce a lot of code. But it will produce relevant one:

1. Interface for configuration (if necessary)

2. Example application

3. Documentation

For Ethernet and serial port that's most likely it. For Mass storage there might be some more code. Without a too detailed look: I would expect that the mass storage either implements some access to a raw block device - in which case it would be necessary to add the access to block devices. Or it implements something like the PTP stuff used on smartphones in which case there will be most likely some code that accesses the file system using POSIX functions instead of FreeBSD kernel functions.

Best regards

Christian

Best regards

Christian

     The builtin USB is NOT functional other than for power under RTEMS.
     (USB OTG would have to be implemented in RTEMS to get rid of USB to
     TTL Converter.)
     - Ben Gras

<http://www.shrike-systems.com/beagleboard-xm-beaglebone-black-and-everything-else-rtems-on-the-beagles.html>
     (Blog post)