On 27.04.22 19:25, Frank Kühndel wrote:
Hello Sebastian,

On 4/27/22 11:54, Sebastian Huber wrote:
we have to select a GCC version for the RTEMS 6 release. Currently,
GCC 10 is used, however, with the release of GCC 10.4 this year it
will reach its end of life. Other options are GCC 11 and 12. GCC 12
will be released in the next weeks. It has some nice features:

* Initialization of stack variables:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#index-ftrivial-auto-var-init

* Improved static analysis with -fanalyzer

* Improved gcov support, with the ability to back port changes from
GCC 13:

https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2022-April/593536.html

* Upstream maintenance for the next three years

The draw back is that it is brand new.
The Ada support is broken in GCC 12 for most targets:
I do not need ADA but ADA may be worth considering. With GCC 10 one
needed to have a GNAT 10 compiler installed to build the tools incl.
--with_ada. I presume, one would need a GNAT 12 to build ADA with the
GCC 12 sources? The current Fedora 35 has GNAT 11. All other distros I
know of have GNAT 10 at best (I have not checked on tumbleweed yet).
OpenSUSE may get ADA 12 from an unusual repro???

There is a GCC development repository for openSUSE which all current GCC versions:

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/gcc/

So, if I am not mistaken, switching to GCC 12 will have the effect that
the "normal" RTEMS ADA user will for quite a while not be able to build
ADA. I am not sure how important that would be.

I already fixed the Ada build.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER