On 28.04.22 09:52, Chris Johns wrote:
On 27/4/2022 4:57 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
Hello,

we have to select a GCC version for the RTEMS 6 release. Currently, GCC 10 is
used, however, with the release of GCC 10.4 this year it will reach its end of
life. Other options are GCC 11 and 12. GCC 12 will be released in the next
weeks. It has some nice features:

* Initialization of stack variables:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#index-ftrivial-auto-var-init

* Improved static analysis with -fanalyzer

* Improved gcov support, with the ability to back port changes from GCC 13:

https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2022-April/593536.html

* Upstream maintenance for the next three years

The draw back is that it is brand new.

What about rtems 6 shipping with 10 and then we move to 12 and test and if it
looks good we release 7?

The rational is my testing with rtems 6 + gcc 10 is good so we have a stable
base to move from. Without this step we have no means for users to move back if
there are issues.

More releases means more maintenance overhead. Since GCC 12 is under active upstream maintenance, compiler issues can be fixed by the GCC maintainers in contrast to GCC 10.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München