Marcin,

I am currently looking for a way to reclaim resources allocated by kernel for
the rootserver thread

I wonder, what you are trying to achieve in the end when doing this? Is this
just about resources in system with very low memory? Or do you want an atomic
way to do it because there is no other trusted thread can can take care of
the cleanup?
The root task basically has access to all it's resource, so it could either
"morph" itself into something useful. Or, with a smart design, it can
release most of its resources itself. Some can't be release because it would
make the rootserver crash and I don't think there is a smart way out here via
setting up a fault endpoint that hands over control to another thread while
the last caps are removed. But another thread could release the remaining
rootserver resources assuming the root server has given it access, ie. gave
it a copy of the caps.
I'm not sure if there is really any rootserver cap that must remain and thus
blocks resources forever.

Axel