On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>One could go through an evolutionary process, from developers, to invited
>others, to fully open.

That's an idea I hadn't thought of, one which could be good too
possibly.  It would remove the potential threat of incoming bug
reports of the form:

=====
My server no works can for the problem help?  It is Acer video
and is to the KDE no works when I run.
=====

(A real email I've received)

We've all seen those type of reports, and we all know how
completely and totally useless they are.  But, I think also that
once enough people get involved, such reports can be trivially
triaged, or volunteers can extract more infor that is useful from
someone until there is a valid report to be looked at by a
developer.

>The question still is: is there enough interest among the
>developer community to it be worth the investment to get it set
>up?  If no-one is going to use it, why bother?  On the other
>hand, if enough of us say, as I do, that we're dropping too many
>problems on the floor and such a system might be useful if it
>gets established correctly, I think there is enough resources to
>start getting it set up.  But those resources should go
>elsewhere if there is no interest.

Personally, I'd love to see interest from core developers to at
least poke their toe in the water, and some of them have already
suggested they'd give it a shot and if it worked out ok, they'd
use it.

I think that a bug tracking system would be a benefit all around
however, as various distribution users, vendors, and also stray
do it yourself people could all look for answers in one spot, and
could report distribution non-specific bugs in one spot.  There
are benefits IMHO for all groups involved by having a centralized
bug tracker, and avoiding duplication of effort, etc.

I volunteer to spend time working with publically reported bugs
in a central database either way.  I do triage in our own
bugzilla for XFree86 related issues, and it's not likely much
more work for me to snoop through a public database looking for
more duplicates too, and providing help to people in the public
database having the same problem perhaps as one of our users.

The more people who do that, the more useful stuff we can supply
to other X developers, including the core team.  I'd very much
like to see a bugzilla be something we can use to give the core
team something good.  More patches, more widely tested patches,
more useful feedback, you name it.  I hope they want to use it
too of course, but that's only if they find it beneficial to
personally do so.  If they don't in the end (however I have faith
that they will once they see it in action) it would still benefit
non-core members by being able to access a central bug database
and work together with each other IMHO.

I'd be interested also in hearing feedback and comments from
Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Caldera, and other Linux and BSD distribution XFree86
package maintainers, and other developers also.  I've talked
personally with some of them already, but the more who get
involved the better.  We all benefit, and everyone's feedback is
very valuable.

Take care,
TTYL

--