Vladimir Dergachev writes:

 > > The approach I've been thinking about for a while is to replace as much
 > > of the .cf data as possible with auto-generated data, and then have
 > > imake do it's usual thing.  That would give a balance between automatic
 > > build configuration and compatibility with existing Imakefiles.  I think it
 > > would also have the advantage of being a doable task.  Imake already
 > > does some basic auto-detection, but it's limited and it does it every
 > > time it's run.  When building something large like the XFree86 tree,
 > > it'd be better if that auto-detection was done once and the cached data
 > > used for the rest of the tree.
 >
 > Yep, this seems the right way to do it. Is there any way we could use
 > libraries already installed on the system like freetype or mesa ?

Some years ago RMS proposed something like this to XFree86.
He said he was going to fund it if we were interested.
Appearantly there was somebody who had done something like it
before so was going to get in touch with that person.

I told RMS that XFree86 was very interested.

After that I didn't hear anything any more.

Maybe you want to contact RMS about this.

Egbert.