Quoting Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >   as root:
> > # mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/cursors/core
> > # cp -f * /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/cursors/core
>
> I'm sure you mean
>
> # mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/core/cursors
> # cp -f * /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/core/cursors

  Oops, yes, sorry.

> >   This is a very simple theme, the cursors have very little
> transparency
> > and the shadows are almost invisible when the cursor is over dark
> > backgrounds.
>
> I think it looks great! This is the right direction for the default
> cursors IMHO.

  I was thinking a bit about it. Probably what we will see at some time
is a set of cursors for kde and gnome, maybe for specific applications
(where the app provides all of it's required cursors), this heavily
depends on the amount of work required to build a theme, Sodipodi
http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net seens to be a good tool for it...

  Since the cursors are very simple, I think they can be generated on
the fly (I did most of the hard work with a simple program), and this
would include any already existing custom cursor, and would also allow
inverted cursors, black borders may look better with a shadow.

  Basically, the code generating the cursors should:
1) know the bitmaps and hotspots
2) choose the white and black colors
3) create a xcursor image with the required dimensions
4) draw two shade levels using two grayscale colors
5) draw the mask
6) draw the cursor image
7) adjust alpha, what I did was:
    border (mask) and cursor image: +- 75%
    shade level 1: +- 25%
    "outer" shade level 2: +- 12%
8) optionally add some effect to the "main shape", maybe a gradient
9) optionally use some algorithm for antialiasing

I didn't do 8) and 9) for the sample.

  This should generate very well defined shapes, sometimes you want to
know exactly where is the cursor hotspot, at least when using some
drawing program.

  The major problem with this is that it defeats the Xcursor feature of
multiple size cursors, one could do the artwork for the core cursors,
just scaling the cursor font should give a good start point, but
application specific cursors would be a problem.

  I think Keith would have better comments, my knowledge about Xcursor
is limited...

> --
> Earthling Michel Dänzer (MrCooper)/ Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc)
> developer
> XFree86 and DRI project member   /  CS student, Free Software
> enthusiast

Paulo