Hi,

  I built a set of the core cursors (only size 16), for testing, it is
available at http://www.conectiva.com.br/~pcpa/xcursor.tar.gz

  To build/test/install:
$ tar zxvf xcursor.tar.gz
$ cd xcursor

==> for sh
$ for f in *.cfg; do xcursorgen $f `echo $f | sed -e 's@.cfg@@'`; done

==> for csh
% foreach f (*.cfg)
  xcursorgen $f `echo $f | sed -e 's@.cfg@@'`
  end

$ rm -f *.png *.cfg

  as root:
# mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/cursors/core
# cp -f * /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/cursors/core

after that just test any app, example:

==> for sh
$ (XCURSOR_THEME=core xedit)

==> for csh
% (setenv XCURSOR_THEME core;  xedit)

  If you want it as a "default" cursor theme, you can edit $HOME/.Xdefaults
and add the line:

Xcursor.theme:    core

  This is a very simple theme, the cursors have very little transparency
and the shadows are almost invisible when the cursor is over dark
backgrounds.

  Well, this theme was created just for testing, after doing this, I was
thinking that probably the best way to create cursor themes should be
something like:

1) Draw the cursors in a vetorial drawing program. Try to use only lines
   in multiples of 45 degrees, and keep it simple.
2) Convert it to a pixmap, a good bet is 96x96, and lines with width 8,
   than it should be required little retouch when scaling it to create the
   12, 16, 24, 32 and 48 sizes.

  These are just my ideas, I am very bad at gimp..., I don't think I will
create some real artwork theme :-)

  Note that I am not proposing it to be the XFree86 4.3.0 default theme,
as I said earlier, I did it only for testing. I would prefer redglass as
the default for XFree86 4.3.0, at least for me, it is very good...

Paulo