On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:42:35AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> This is a very old bug/feature.  I spent some time looking into it.
> Not being very experienced at X coding, so I haven't attempted a fix.
>
> Demo of bug:
>
> - in an xterm running a shell, type: echo -e '\033[?1001h'
> - click in the window
>
> xterm now locks up (this is documented in ctlseqs.ms) and eats all
> available CPU (not documented).
> Confirmed by someone else on Xfree86 4.2.99.4.
>
> On Red Hat LINUX 8.0, I straced such a hung xterm.  There was a cycle
> of 4 select system calls.  It is all within one invocation of
>       xc/programs/xterm/charproc.c:ip_put

hmm - running on Slackware 7.1, I don't see any CPU load.   I'm using
a test-screen in vttest to exercise this feature.  But I do have a
Redhat 8.0 for testing - will see if I can reproduce this problem there.

> Now: what about avoiding the hang altogether?  I've not understood the
> code well enough to know what I'd do.
>
> The hang is fundamental.  The xterm does not know how to act until
> it gets the CSI...T sequence from the pty.  Perhaps a better approach
> would be to act as if a default one had been received until the actual
> one arrives.

well yes - the xterm doesn't pay attention to anything else when it's in
that mode.  That's why it's not much used.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net