On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Guido Guenther wrote:

> Hi,
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:47:05PM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:
> > Tried this but I couldn't get current CVS to crash anymore. But now when
> > switching back from the console the display is all black. When I blindly
> > grab a window and move it around on the screen the old contents
> > reappears. No idea what broke this. The driver I'm using (newport) uses
> > the 'old' shadowfb code (not Keiths miext/shadow code). Unfortunately I
> [..snip..]
> I tried to look again at the above bug. Since the problem popped up
> shortly after the RandR merge I disabled RandR in XF86Config-4 but
> nothing changed. Is there anything known that RandR interacts badly
> with shadowfb? The same driver still works fine with 4.2.1 so the
> problem doesn't seem to be in the driver itself.
> Any pointers where to start digging?

  Substantial changes were made to shadowfb 4 months ago:

 422. Updates for shadowfb code
      - Add RENDER support
      - support for pre-fb modifications
      - support for real framebuffers rather than memory based framebuffer
      - Removal of old fullscreen update code (when VT switching)
      - fix bug in FillSpans
      (#5411, #5413, Nolan Leake, VMware).

  Does that correspond with the breakage?

                        Mark.