On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Guido Guenther wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 12:10:16AM +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > If you call the ShadowFBInit2 in newport_driver.c (just tag FALSE on the
> > end of the arguments). Does that work for you ?
> Yes, this works. Thanks! But it's significantly slower. After switching
> back from the console there's nothing happenning for about 5 seconds
> (but I see an "half updated" screen), then inistantly everything is back
> to normal.

I've seen this behavior for at least a month, on a G550, an i815
and (I think) a Radeon.
I'm running xmms; if I switch to a text console, wait, switch back
the xmms clock is correct but not all displays are up to date and the
xmms clock stops running for up to 10 seconds until the other windows
redisplay. The sound continues as normal throughout.

I have only seen this on machines which I've patched to experiment
with 8bit on 24bit screens, and I'd put the delay down to the large
amounts of logging I'm doing. Therefore I'd assumed it was my problem,
and not Xfree86.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna