> What does the mioverlay.c do in the mi module of Xfree86? I notice that
> the chips driver does not use it for doing overlay. I understand that it
> replaces some of the Window functions when doing overlay. But is anyone
> familiar with the inner workings of it?

It basically maintains separate clipping information for the overlay layer
and the image layer.  Overlay windows don't clip image windows, hence their
clipping information must be maintained separately.  Image windows do clip
overlay windows, though.  Sort of.  Since you have to paint transparency
in the overlay layer on top of image windows, you're basically destroying
the overlay contents there.  Hence, when it comes time to generate exposures,
the overlay portion above an image window must be exposed.

mioverlay also handles generating exposures, painting transparency and
other windowing operations when overlays are enabled.  It uses the
appropriate clipping information based on whether a window is in the
overlay or image layer.

> Also, am I asking these questions at the right place?

I think so.

Hope that helps a bit,

Derek