Around 9 o'clock on Feb 27, Sven Luther wrote:

> Yes, it would indeed be great if the XAA.HOWTO would be expanded by a
> new paragraph speaking about the XRENDER acceleration hooks. There is
> already the xaa.h which gives some info, but a discution of the hooks
> would be welcome.

The current Render acceleration hooks are pretty low level; we need to
spend some time designing a more comprehensive interface.  The trouble is
that Render provides so little structure to build upon, unlike the core
protocol.

We can place additional structure inside the render code and XAA to break
down the current interface into more reasonable functions.  However, it's
hard to get excited about building accelerated implementations without a
comprehensive test suite and when the spec is still a bit in flux.  I've
been working on the test suite with some students, but there's a steep
learning curve and so not much progress has been made yet.

The spec is almost finished as well; I've got to go rewrite the trapezoid
specification to match our current thinking and I'd like to add some image
transport requests.  The trapezoid part won't have much of an effect on
the architecture of any acceleration internals, but image transport may
need to be exposed all the way to the bottom of the system.

-keith