Hi Guys,

I have to revist the mouse handling code in our MGL graphics library
(runs in a console mode without X11) as it has been busted on Red Hat 7.3
and later machines. One of the things that has always bugged me about
Linux is that there is no centralised mouse daemon in the system. GPM is
closed, but it is not used by many apps (we used GPM but when that
changes that is what broke it for us).

So I am wondering what sort of interest there would be in a high quality
mouse daemon for Linux that could handle all of the mouse communications
for Linux programs. The idea would be that there would be a single mouse
daemon in the system that runs in user space that auto-detects the
installed mouse and provides event translation for all apps in the
system, including XFree86.

My plan would be to start with the XFree86 mouse handling code and
essentially figure out a way to make it into a separate daemon that can
be shared. If I do this, is there any interest in using it?

If not I guess I will just port the XFree86 mouse code to our MGL
library, but that kind of sucks because I will have to keep on top of
changes to the XFree86 code to maintain our mouse handling modules.

Also the more I think about it perhaps the daemon should handle both
mouse and keyboard event drive input (ie: an input daemon) so all this
stuff is centralised for event driven GUI environments)?

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~