David Dawes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The general rule is "don't create a host.def file unless you find
> you need to".  It follows from this that a good "default" file is
> an empty one, hence the empty collection of sample host.def files
> :-). If the build fails without one, it's usually a bug.

I can see that now, but when I was starting trying to build this stuff
not long ago that was not at all clear to me. Seems to me that the
barrier to entry for new developers with XFree86 is the lack of
documentation and a simple 'getting started' guide. It helps immensely
with projects if developers can download and do a successful compile
within the first 10 minutes of unpacking the source code IMHO. Any longer
and they start to lose interest fast ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~