Hello all,

I recently purchased a Dell D400, which suffers from a BIOS only
allocating <1MB of legacy video memory (stolen memory) to the integrated
graphics... I believe the Dell 500m and other 855GM laptops suffer from
this as well. The BIOS also does not provide the appropriate mechanisms
for the current drivers to change that.

Researching, I found that the Dell C400 and other similar laptops had
this problem too (with an older chipset), but a work around was written
(by Abraham vd Merwe?).  Does anyone know if a similar work around could
be applied to the 855GM's? Or is the chipset radically different so that
that fix will not work?

More info on the C400 is here:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c400.html

Thanks!