Oliver Wong writes:
 > The fix was unsuccessful coming from one person on the Dell forums who
 > tried it (I think some others are going to try it though - I posted it
 > on the Gentoo forums).

It is likely that it is not worrking.

 > Thanks for your efforts... if another possible workaround surfaces, I'd
 > be glad to give it a try (or find someone who will =).

see below.

 > Another idea... if no software/driver workaround is possible and Dell
 > refuses to update/fix their BIOS, is there any feasible way of modifying
 > the BIOS independant of Dell?  ie. grabbing the image file and finding
 > where it specifies 832KB (or whatever it sets it to... 896 or
 > something?) and changing that to around 8MB?  I'm not sure if the BIOS
 > could be interpretted or not though (seen in assembly - or just a bunch
 > of bits).
 >
 > Is this possible?... legal? Definately risky, I know.

No, if you reverse engineer the BIOS you will know what it is looking
for to figure out the amount of memory it has available. You can
change this then. I assume it is a certain sw flag.
We used to know which one it was for the old DELL systems however
we don't know which one it is now.
Newer BIOSes are supposed to provide a BIOS call which can be used
to change the size of video RAM the BIOS knows about.
Can you look at the vendor string if the BIOS in you lock file?
Is this a DELL provided one or one from Intel?
I've talked to Intel about this and they say this should be fixed
with an BIOS update.

Egbert.