I've got a PCI siliconmotion card that allows me to view the LCD output on a
regular CRT. In the real world, the graphics controller will be part of a
notebook computer where the LCD is fixed. My problem is this, when using the
LCD output, DDC doesn't work. So, even though I've configured the card to
think a 1280x1024 panel is connected, it uses default refresh rates for a
default monitor and does not allow me to go any higher than 800x600. When
I'm doing a modeset to the LCD controller (done via BIOS) - does it really
matter what the refresh rates are? Is it valid / and is there a way to make
the xfree helper routines automatically accept all resolutions that the
driver validates regardless of the timings?

Here's the output when DDC gets loaded:

(II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none
(II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 0 sec.
(II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully
(==) Silicon Motion(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) Silicon Motion(0): Detected current MCLK value of 100.227 MHz
(II) Silicon Motion(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 31.50-37.90 kHz
(II) Silicon Motion(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-70.00 Hz

Thanks,
-Chris