Hello,
  When are the various different patches out there for ATI cards going
to be integrated into XFree86 and DRI?  I know of at least two different
projects that are modifying these drivers.

  What's the deal with ATI's drivers?  Why couldn't they just help out
with the existing drivers instead of reinventing the wheel?
After all their drivers don't support XV at all, so you can't use the
multimedia capabilities of some of their integrated cards like the
AIW-PRO and 8500DV.  I realize that in the past they have provided some
information to XFree86, and eventually after having their multimedia
stuff reverse engineered to the group that was working on that.  They
have, however, never provided complete information!

  I should have learned my lesson with the problems I had with ATI and
the AIW-Pro..

  I really can't see the problem with these chip designers releasing
information so there could be drivers written that can take advantage of
ALL the features for the chips, and boards they produce!

  It would be really nice if there could be one set of drivers for these
cards, rather then this hodge-podge of drivers!  A driver set that
supported all the features for the cards!

Bill Suetholz
ATI Customer: 648626CSC