On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Tim Roberts wrote:

>>Maybe they could have the whole X driver and kernel module in open
>>source, and only keep the opengl library as proprietary stuff. I more or
>>less doubt they have any IP involved in these part, at least some really
>>meaningfull stuff.
>
>Unfortunately, "interesting" and "meaningful" are NOT among the
>criteria used by the US Patent and Trademark Office in awarding
>patents.  The fact is most chip companies DO hold patents on
>some peculiar aspect of their chips, and they have to pretend to
>protect them in order to maintain their usefulness.
>
>Most people don't realize how much the patent business has
>turned from being an invention protector into one big Pokemon
>game.  Company A decides to attack Company B.  They lay down
>three of their patents in the Pokemon arena and say, "AHA!, you
>violate these patents, please pay me a million a year or I'll
>sue."
>
>Company B goes back to their Pokedex, chooses three likely
>candidates from THEIR patent portfolio, and responsd "AHA!, you
>are violating OUR patents!  Sign this cross-licensing agreement
>or my Charizard's flame thrower attack will turn you to ashes."
>
>The two companies sign the agreement in order to avoid the court
>system, put their patents back into their Pokeballs, and life
>goes on.  They have to have patents in order to make their
>Pokemon card deck strong enough to survive battles like that.
>
>Of course, this is all anathema to the open source and free
>software movements.
>
>This e-mail also demonstrates that my children have spent WAY
>too much time with Pokemon.

My my Tim, you have such an eloquent way of describing this
stuff.  ;o)  I'll have to save your post so I can forward it to
the next person who starts the same flamewar in 2 weeks.  ;o)

You sure hit the nail right on the head, and this is what the
average person really doesn't understand IMHO.

Good post!

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris